Nova Hedwigia 48(3-4): 282. 1989.
Handkea is a genus of puffballs. All species of Handkea were previously placed in the genus Calvatia. Six of the eight known species are endemic to the western United States and occur in California.
Type species of the genus Handkea:
- Handkea utriformis (Bull.) Kreisel
Principle characteristics of the genus Handkea:
- Capillitium aspeptate with slit-like pits
- Endoperidium not (or weakly) dextrinoid
Keys and descriptions of the genus Handkea:
- Pacific Northwest Key Council: Trial field key to the LYCOPERDACEAE & GEASTRACEAE in the Pacific Northwest
- Kreisel, H. (1989). Studies in the Calvatia complex (Basidiomycetes). Nova Hedwigia 48: 281-296.
- Zeller, S.M. & Smith, A.H. (1964). The genus Calvatia in North America. Lloydia 27: 148-180.
Handkea species known to occur in California: